Monday, February 6, 2012

In Philly: Morimoto Flops, while Garces Shines, and No One Beats Rocky...

Philly Skyline from Museum of Art
For my February trip, I got the chance to catch-up with my good friend from BU, Stacey, in Philadelphia.  Sure, I did a day trip to Philly as a kid with my parents and saw the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall.  This time around, as you can tell from the title of this blog, I had 3 main things in mind to help me really experience what "The City of Brotherly Love" has to offer -- eating at two Iron Chefs' restaurants and of course, Rocky Balboa....

First stop was Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto's, "Morimoto," restaurant.  Stacey had warned me to temper my expectations for "Morimoto," and unfortunately, she was right.....The menu lacked in breadth and the service was so slow!  I wasn't expecting the Iron Chef himself cooking at the restaurant, but I still expected a lot more from a restaurant if you're going to brand it Iron Chef worthy and charge Iron Chef prices.  While my kobe steak was a melt-in-your-mouth delicious piece of meat, I still wouldn't recommend Morimoto's...



Just as I was becoming skeptical of the "Iron Chef" title, it's Iron Chef Jose Garces to the rescue in restoring what an "Iron Chef" is supposed to stand for.  Chef Garces owns a whopping 7 restaurants in Philly -- I decided to check-out his first restaurant, "Amada."  I'm usually not a tapas type, but wow, Amada was amazing!  I enjoy a good meal, but I usually don't walk away with something I can say, "wow, that was the best thing I ever ate," until now - Amada had the most amazing fried crispy pork dish I've ever had...Amada is a definite must visit for anyone in Philly!
Most Delicious Vegetarian Plate
Best Thing I Ever Ate
While food is a big part of Philly's identity, there was another iconic attraction that was a must see for my trip.......I just had to visit the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art to pay homage to the one and only, Rocky Balboa!  And, of course, I had to do my own rendition of training and running up the steps to the museum just like Rocky...Can't you just hear "Gonna Fly Now" playing the background to these pictures?  Hehe...
"Trying Hard Now"

"Getting Strong Now"



"Gonna Fly Now"
















While Philly is Rocky's hometown, you also see a lot of Benjamin Franklin all over town....As you can see from how we individually posed with Ben, my host for the weekend and I are pretty different in our personalities, hehe.  This is on the campus of UPenn...that Stacey is one smart chick!
Me & Ben
Stacey & Ben
Also on the UPenn campus is this iconic "LOVE" sign.  What should have been a simple photo-op turned into this massive ordeal.  Instead of just posing next to the letters, Stacey suggested that I climb onto it, like she had previously done.  Seemed like a simple notion at the time, but geez, riding that mechanical bull in New Orleans was a breeze compared to mounting onto these letters!  As you can see from the photos below, I worked-up a sweat trying to climb this thing and pretty much embarrassed myself as visitors to the UPenn campus walked by.  It was rather symbolic that of all letters I was struggling with, it had to spell out "Love," haha.

I can do this!
It would suck to fall
Now, I'm just pissed

Let's try this side; so graceful

Finally!

That took so long, I'm just gonna sit a bit























Double Meat w/Mushrooms & Onions
Sweating Meat
So, after climbing some steps Rocky-style, and trying to mount onto some letters, all that exercise calls for some more food....I've done Iron Chef, so what's left?  A Philly Cheese Steak, of course!   "Geno's" or "Pat's" are the real popular places to get a cheese steak, but they're in pretty ghetto parts of the city and I didn't want one with Cheese Whiz on it; I wanted real provolone cheese.  So, we ended up at another popular cheese steak spot - "Jim's Steaks" on South Street.  It was pretty good, but I must admit, I still love my Newtonville Pizza steak & cheese sub.  As a devout vegetarian, Stacey's a real pal for accompanying me to Jim's so I could get my cheese steak -- the poor girl ended up smelling like meat the rest of the night, haha.  Along with letting me crash at her place, and having dragged her to all the touristy sites and making her serve as my personal photographer for cheesy photo shots, I'm really lucky to have Stacey as a friend....Also, I have to give a shout-out to her UPenn cohorts whom I had a chance to meet -- real fun and nice people, and super smart...



So, while most people were questioning why I would have planned this trip on Super Bowl weekend (I didn't think the Pats' D would carry us to the big game), Philly turned out to be a great weekend getaway.  (Although a Pats victory would have made this an even better weekend).  Given the outcome of tonight's Super Bowl, I think I picked the right weekend to go to Philly.  Otherwise, the only thing I would be feeling right now is the disappointment of the Pats' loss.  So, instead of trying to avoid ESPN and the bad news of the Pats loss all over TV right now, I get to blog about having had a blast in Philly.....Thanks, Stacey for an amazing weekend!!!

My 5-Star View from "Hotel Stacey"

1 comment:

  1. I envy all the yummy food you eat. Hehehe.... I was wondering why you went of SuperBowl weekend. I've been wanting to go to Morimoto's. Sounds like it's not really worth going to. I must say although I watched Rocky eons ago, I didn't realize it was taken place in Philly. Learned something new. ^_^

    ReplyDelete